Skip to content
SUNY GCC - Genesee Community College


When you are preparing to graduate you need to make sure you complete all the requirements not only for Genesee Community College, but also the requirements for immigration. Please make sure you have completed the necessary procedures and review the options that you have after graduating.

To receive your diploma from Genesee Community College you need to:

  • Apply to Graduate – At the beginning of the semester in which you will graduate (or in the Spring for Summer diplomas), you must fill out a Diploma Request. If you do not request a diploma you will not receive one. Remember to put an address where you will be able to receive your diploma two to three months later. We recommend you send them home unless you are certain of your address.
  • If you wish to participate in the Graduation Ceremony, you need to order your cap and gown at the Student Activities Office.  There is only one ceremony per year, held in the Spring.  If you will graduate in the Summer (with 6 credits or less to complete) you may ask to walk in the Spring ceremony, however your name will be printed in the following year’s Graduation Ceremony.

Options after you graduate concerning immigration

Note: Your F-1 Student Status officially ends 60 days after graduation unless you have either applied for OPT or School Transfer.

Optional Practical Training

If you wish to apply for Optional Practical Training to gain valuable work experience in the U.S. you must do so at least 2 weeks before your Program End Date. However, we strongly suggest that you apply two to three months before you plan to start working (no later than 60 days after your completion date). We recommend this because your application must be sent to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and it could take up to three months to process your application.

Transfer to Another College

If you wish to transfer to another college you must do so no later than 60 days after your program end date. If you do not request a school transfer by this date and remain in the United States you will be out of status.

Other Information

If you plan to continue to study at Genesee Community College, you must talk with the International Student Advisor before your Program End Date. If you are leaving the U.S. after graduation you must do so no later than 60 days after graduation.